MAC Feats (Feb 13)
About MAC (Dec 10)
About the Aquifer
'The Mahomet Aquifer' by Panno & Korab
Newsletters (Feb 13)
Current Research (May 10)
Maps of the aquifer (Aug 11)
Links (Feb 13)
Members (Nov 13)
Need Adobe Acrobat? Click here
Want your town's water tower added to the map? Send a jpg to the webmaster.
- Next Board Meeting: Tues, Dec 17, 10 AM, at IAWC, 201 Devonshire Dr., Champaign (Click here for Google map
- Next Member Meeting: Tues, Jan 21, 10 AM at ISWS, Speaker: TBA(Click here for Google map)
- Most recent MAC newsletter Dec 2012 (352 KB)
- Groundwater info: Mahomet aquifer well in Champaign Co., Shallow well in Champaign Co.
- Streamflow info: USGS current streamflow info, Sangamon River at Fisher, Monticello & Petersburg
- Reservoir info: National Weather Service daily stage report, Lake Springfield
INFO FOR PRIVATE WELL OWNERS:
- Private Well Class dot Org-- a new website offering on-line education for private well owners & users.
- Online webinars: How your private well works, Proper care of your private well & Water quality and your private well
- Prairie Research Institute Anniversary Lecture Series, Dec 3. Dr. Scott Tinker (Director, Texas Bureau of Economic Geology) will screen Switch, a documentary on energy transition which he co-produced. Join us at 7pm in the Lincoln Hall Theater in Lincoln Hall (702 S. Wright Street, Urbana).
- Nov 2nd mtg: Mahomet Aquifer Protection Alliance, Clinton, read the Dewitt Daily News report, Daily Illini report, Pantagraph report, News-Gazette report
- 855/H20-WELL: A new hotline operated by the National Ground Water Association for private water well owners. The hotline, (855) H20-WELL (855-420-9355), was established to help well owners who have questions relating to water quality such as water testing and treatment, well maintenance and construction, and groundwater protection. Hotline is available from 10am-4 pm Mon through Fri (except holidays). Questions may also be directed via e-mail to email@example.com.
- Clinton Landfill news: IPCB dismisses lawsuit filed by landfill opponents, read more in the Pantagraph
- Officials tracking Lake Decatur water levels, story in Decatur Herald & Review
- Seminar Series on Fresh Water kicks off on Oct 6, hosted by First Presbyterian Church of Urbana, more info
- Sierra Club Prairie Group will sponsor a panel discussion on Champaign Copunty Water Resources, Sept 26, 7-8:30PM, Champaign Public Library, more info
- Research news: ANL scientists find anaerobic methane oxidizers (bacteria) in Mahomet aquifer. These bugs have only been found in the deep ocean prior to this discovery.
- MAC becomes a member of the Alliance for Water Efficiency
- IEPA launches website about Clinton Landfill 3 in July 2013, read the Pantagraph story
- Geology of the Mahomet Aquifer in Champaign County by Andy Stumpf and Bill Dey available at ISGS website
- American Geosciences Institute releases a new report: Critical Needs for the Twenty-first Century: The Role of Geosciences. The report identifies 8 critical needs including water (provide sufficient supplies of water) and suggests policy to meet those needs. read more
- Susan Monte's presentation, Model Water Use Restriction Ordinance (812 KB), Champaign County Regional Planning Commission on May 14, 2013. Read more. Invite to May 29 mtg (125 KB) in Urbana to discuss the model ordinance.
- Read about Champaign's Growing Greener plan. Comments on the plan are welcome.
- Urbana seeks input on its Sustainable Water Management Plan-- May 7, 6PM, Urbana will host an Open House with light refreshments where the public can review and discuss the plan with City staff and the Sustainability Advisory Commission.
- Tuscola site in running for $1.2B fertilizer plant, reports the Decatur Herald & Review. Effluent from UCSD treatment is a possible water source.
- Dam removal along Vermilion River near Danville. Read this News-Gazette story
- A conversation with an ISGS geologist about the local water supply Topics discussed include the Clinton Landfill, SSA & others at this CU-based website.
- Steve Wilson, ISWS, presentation PrivateWellClass.org (1.3 MB) from the March 12 MAC mtg
- On March 11, PSA released asking citizens to contact USEPA and to support the SSA designation. View it on the City of Champaign website.
- News-Gazette story on SSA mtg in Champaign with USEPA's Bill Spaulding.
- New bumper sticker circulating-- developed by group promoting Sole Source Aquifer>>>
- Tim Bryant's presentation, Illinois Water Withdrawals 2010: Statewide and the Mahomet Aquifer from the Jan 22 mtg. (1.0 MB)
- Homer mayor discusses value of water to his east-central Illinois town
- Sole source aquifer links-- USEPA region 2: Petition guidance, USEPA region 6: SSA fact sheet, USEPA region 10: project review & USEPA region 10: Q&A
- The Source Source Aquifer petition for the Mahomet aquifer is now on the City of Champaign’s website. The petition was submitted by Champaign, Normal, Urbana, U of I, Savoy, Delavan, Mahomet, Mansfield, and Gilman on Dec 12th.
- MAC on SSA designation-- At this time, MAC will remain neutral on designating the Mahomet aquifer as a sole source aquifer. Our understanding of the advantages and disadvantages of the sole source aquifer program is incomplete. More info
- Info regarding USEPA's sole source aquifer program-- read the report commissioned by MAC (rec'd 10/9/12)
Ed Mehnert's powerpoint-- SSA-- Panacea or Placebo?
Al Wehrmann's powerpoint-- Phase I: Determining the Mahomet Aquifer's Eligibility for Sole Source Designation (link)
City of Champaign's Mahomet Aquifer page-- Designating the Mahomet aquifer as an SSA & Layne report available here
- ISWS releases report Meeting East-Central Illinois Water Needs to 2050: Potential Impacts on the Mahomet Aquifer and Surface Reservoirs by Roadcap, Knapp, Wehrmann and Larson.
- Read MAC's Strategic and Action Plans
- MAC releases an educational video and Powerpoint presentation. Go to Teacher's Info for more info or
YouTube video: part 1 (12:41), part 2 (6:41), part 3 (10:07)
[mail address= P.O. Box 7318, Champaign, IL 61826-7318,
Project Coordinator: Robbie Berg of Earth Partners]
RWSPC Stakeholders mtg, Sept 13, 2013, Decatur, IL-- great mtg, 55 attendees, more info
Link to RWSPC final report.
Link to the Committee's WWW site (Check here for mtg dates and directions.)
RWSPC status and future direction-- Al Wehrmann reviews the status and discusses the future for both planning committees (posted Nov 11, 2008)
Link to ISWS Water Supply Planning WWW site
Gary Clark's discussion of Water Law in Illinois (PDF of 3/30 presentation)
Responsibilities of the Committee, IDNR & the Surveys
Read State & Regional Water-Supply Planning in Illinois to learn why planning is needed and where to get more info.
Governor announces water supply study. (includes Executive Order 2006-1)
SIU report-- County-level forecasts of water use in Illinois: 2005-2025, [ view abstract or download PDF (8 MB)]
ASCE reviews state water resources planning in the 50 states. Read more
Openlands releases their Troubled Waters report (click for fact sheet or report.)
Links: NE Illinois Water Resources Planning Committee
Last Updated: Nov 22, 2013
Email the webmaster for questions/comments